Naysayers scoff at the speed thing; "Do you do this just so you can blog about it?" "Why don't you stop and smell the roses?" That kinda stuff.
| Big skis: Built-in excuse. |
| Primary hazard, doggy land mines at the start and finish. |
- Skin track in great condition. Very few kick turns, very few diversion from the middle heel lifter. Except near the top: a couple ups and down around some rocks along the ridge.
- I started and finished the time at the southernmost no parking sign at the propane tanks.
- No warm up. Probably should have.
- Down conditions were fast with just a little zipper rain crust below about 9k.
- Start to summit, transition included: 59:21
- Summit to car: 11:54
- Total time: 1:11:15.
- I came down the Old Growth to the western margin of the Tele Bowls.
- Coming down one of the chutes may be faster, but being out solo on this moderate hazard day, I promised I wouldn't.
- Amazing down-conditions for the upper 800 ft. But one has a hard time enjoying that part under sprint conditions. As much as there is potential for that "runner's high" on the way up, down-skiing for speed is more about survival. Oh well.
Notable Gear:
- Volkl Nunataqs and matched skins. Not the lightest at all, but I'm between lighter skis right now. I probably got some of the time back by being able to ski down faster. 'Specially with the aforementioned crust in the mix.
- Dynafit Speed Radical Bindings
- Dynafit TLT 5 Performance boots, no tongues or velcro.
- Camp Rapid 260 pack.
- Shovel, probe, transceiver.
- 1 qt water, only drank half.
- carried some food, ate none.
- t-shirt and light fleece, up and down.
- light gloves.
- Puffy in the pack
- 1 lb emergency kit in the pack.
What's the estimated vert of that baby?
ReplyDelete